Varicose veins are twisted, and enlarged veins that mainly appear on the legs. They may appear in either blue or dark purple colour. They occur mostly in the legs as walking and standing for long hours can exert pressure in the veins of the legs. With varicose veins, leg veins become weak or damaged. Due to this, blood flows backwards instead of moving towards the heart and blood gets pooled in the veins.
If varicose veins are diagnosed at early stages, the treatment becomes easier and more effective. Different diagnostic tests can be used to determine the severity of varicose veins.
Different Diagnostic Tests for Varicose Veins
There are different types of diagnostic tests that can be used to treat varicose veins. Knowing them in advance helps you to get a proper diagnosis and treatment at the right time. The following are the different diagnostic tests:
- Duplex ultrasound: Duplex ultrasound test is the most commonly used diagnostic test. It is a non-invasive test that uses sound waves to generate images of the valves in the veins and the blood flow. During this test, a gel is applied and a hand-held device called a transducer is moved over the skin to be examined. The transducer produces 2D images of the leg veins using sound waves and the images can be seen on a computer screen. The duplex ultrasound test helps to identify any blood clots in the veins. If the doctor identifies any blood clots, blood thinners may be prescribed to break the clots. The test takes around 30 to 60 minutes and you can get back to your daily routine immediately after the test.
- Trendelenburg Test: It is also known as the Brodie-Trendelenburg test. This test is used to determine the incompetence of valves in a patient with varicose veins. During the test, the patient needs to lie down with the affected leg raised or elevated. The doctor will squeeze the leg to empty the vein and gravity also helps for this. Then a tourniquet is applied on the upper thigh portion to obstruct the superficial vein and you will be asked to stand up. Now, the filling of the saphenous vein will be checked.
In normal cases, it takes around 30 to 35 seconds to fill the veins. If the superficial vein gets filled quicker with the tourniquet, it might indicate valvular incompetence in the veins and improper working of the superficial vein. If the filling does not occur rapidly, the tourniquet will be released. The test may be repeated by placing a tourniquet at different levels to know where the valves are incompetent. This test also determines if the blood is flowing backwards at the saphenofemoral junction.
- Schwartz Test: This test is used to confirm the diagnosis of varicose veins. During the test, a tap will be made with one hand on the lower leg where a long saphenous varicose vein is present. If an impulse can be felt at the saphenous opening, it indicates that the valves in the superficial venous system are not working well.
- Perthe’s Test: This test is used to differentiate the valvular insufficiency in the deep and superficial venous systems. To perform the test, you need to stand and a tourniquet is applied at the mid-thigh level. Then you will be asked to walk for 5 minutes. If the varicose veins expansion is reduced, it indicates a problem with the superficial venous system, but there is no problem with the deep venous system. If the varicose veins remain enlarged, it indicates a problem with the deep venous system. This test is performed before performing surgery to remove the superficial veins.
How Much Does It Cost to Treat Varicose Veins?
The cost of varicose veins varies from one patient to another based on various factors. The factors include:
- The severity of the varicose veins
- The method used for treating the condition
- The hospital you visit
- The cost of doctor consultation and surgery
- The risk that might occur due to the treatment
- Medications prescribed before and after the treatment
- Care to be taken after surgery and the number of follow-up appointments with the doctor
To treat varicose veins in an effective manner, you need to choose the right doctor. He or she will provide the best quality services at an affordable price.
Looking for a Cost-Effective Varicose Veins Treatment in Hyderabad? Meet Dr Pradyumna Reddy Today
If you are looking for the best and most affordable varicose veins treatment, then Dr Pradyumna Reddy is your right choice. He has over 6 years of experience as an interventional radiologist in Hyderabad. He got trained in all the radiology methods and became an expert at treating varicose veins. He has become the best interventional radiologist in Hyderabad at a very young age. To know more or to discuss your condition, call us and book your appointment.