Varicose veins are a common problem seen in both men and women as they get older. They are twisted and enlarged veins that mostly occur in the legs. However, they can occur in any part of the body. They appear either in blue, or purple, or can be skin coloured. Varicose veins can cause severe pain, throbbing, swelling, and heaviness in your legs and can get worse with time. But, there are several treatment options available to treat varicose veins and you can easily get rid of them with proper care and treatment.
What Causes Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins occur when the vein walls and valves become weak. These tiny valves help the blood to flow towards the heart and lungs. The valves prevent the blood from flowing backwards. If the valves are weak or do not function well, then the blood flows backwards and gets pooled in the veins. This causes swollen and enlarged veins.
Does Hereditary Play a Role in Varicose Veins?
Many people are confused if varicose veins are caused by genes. Yes, it is true. Varicose veins are hereditary. If your family members have developed varicose veins, you have higher chance of developing varicose veins.
If one of your parents has varicose veins, you have 40% chance of developing varicose veins. If both your parents have varicose veins, then you have 90% chance of developing varicose veins. Having little valves or valves that are not functioning well can also be a problem that can be inherited.
Hereditary can only be one of the causes of varicose veins, but you cannot always blame your parents for it. There can also be other risk factors for developing varicose veins.
The following are some of the common risk factors for developing varicose veins:
- Being overweight or obese
- If your job involves sitting or standing for a longer duration
- A family history of blood clots
- Lack of exercise or physical activity
- Changes in hormones that occur during pregnancy
- Changes in your body as you get older
What Can I Do If I have Chances of Developing Varicose Veins?
Some of the causes of varicose veins cannot be controlled. But there are certain measures and lifestyle changes that can prevent the risk of developing varicose veins.
The following are some of the simple ways of reducing the risk of developing varicose veins:
- Practice regular exercise: Walking regularly can help keep your veins healthy. It also lets the leg muscles allow blood flow to the heart. Hence, practice regular exercise and walking to improve blood circulation. Also, avoid sitting and standing for a longer periods throughout the day.
- Maintain a healthy weight: If you are overweight, losing weight or maintaining a healthy weight can be a great help. Losing your weight can reduce pressure on your veins.
- Keep your leg elevated: When you sit for a longer duration, try elevating your legs for some time in your day. This gives a break to your veins and gravity can help the blood to flow towards the heart.
- Follow a healthy diet: Following a healthy diet offers various benefits to your body. You should include proteins and complex carbs in your diet. You should also limit the salt intake to reduce swelling and water retention in your legs. Drink lots of water in a day.
- Avoid drinking and smoking: You should avoid alcohol consumption and smoking to reduce the major cause of varicose veins.
- Use compression stockings: If you are standing for a long time throughout the day, it can put pressure on your veins. To prevent this, use compression stockings throughout the day. They can help prevent the chances of developing varicose veins. You can get compression stockings from a drug store or your doctor may prescribe a certain type of stockings with specific compression strength.
Get Relief from Varicose Veins Through the Treatment from Dr Pradyumna Reddy
If you or your loved one is suffering from varicose veins for a long time, visit Dr Pradyumna Reddy today to get quick and effective treatment. Dr Pradyumna Reddy has over 6 years of experience as an interventional radiologist in Hyderabad. He uses the latest tools and technology to ensure you receive proper care and treatment during your difficult phase. He also offers his services at a very affordable cost. To discuss your condition or to know your treatment options, call us today or fill out the form on the website.