Thyroid nodules are the fluid-filled lumps that form in the thyroid. This occurs due to the abnormal growth of cells in the thyroid gland. Most of the thyroid nodules are not cancerous. But, they can cause discomfort, pain, breathing and swallowing difficulties. Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA) is a non-surgical and less invasive procedure used to shrink and reduce the size of thyroid nodules. With this, the signs get reduced and can restore the normal functioning of the thyroid.
Why Should I Not Delay Treatment for Thyroid Nodules?
You should not wait for a long time to treat thyroid nodules because of the following:
- In some cases, a thyroid nodule can lead to thyroid cancer
- To stop the thyroid nodules from growing. If they increase in their size, they can cause cosmetic issues and other signs
- If your thyroid swells due to nodules, your neck gets compressed and can cause breathing and swallowing difficulties
- If the lumps become large, you need major surgery to get rid of them
What is Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA)?
RFA is a non-invasive procedure used to treat the signs of thyroid nodules. It is an alternative to surgery and it is performed by an interventional radiologist. During the procedure, the interventional radiologist makes use of ultrasound guidance to insert a thin needle into the thyroid nodule. Now, radiofrequency energy will be released from the tip of the needle to generate heat. This heat will further shrink and reduce the size of a thyroid nodule. The entire procedure can take up to 45 minutes and you can go home after the procedure.
What Type of Thyroid Nodules Can be Treated with RFA?
Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA) is effective at treating the following thyroid nodules:
- Over-functioning thyroid nodules
- Non-cancerous solid thyroid nodules
- Thyroid nodules that are causing pressure
- Small thyroid cancers that are within the thyroid gland and have not spread outside it
If your doctor determines that you may have complications from surgery due to some underlying conditions, then RFA can be an option.
What Benefits Does RFA Offer Over Surgery?
The Radiofrequency Ablation procedure offers the following benefits over surgery:
- It is a minimally invasive procedure
- Reduced risk of complications
- It is performed under local anesthesia and you do not need general anesthesia
- No scars
- Restores the function of your thyroid and you do not need to use medications for a lifetime
- No hospital stay is required following the procedure
- Faster recovery than surgery
- No risk of infections
- Improves quality of life
How Much Does Radiofrequency Thyroid Ablation (RFA) Cost?
The average cost of ablation treatment for thyroid nodules in Hyderabad ranges from Rs.40,000/ to Rs. 1,50,000/. But, the cost of RFA treatment varies based on several factors.
Some of the factors that determine the cost of the RFA procedure include:
- The hospital you choose
- The doctor’s expertise
- The type of treatment required
- The nature of your disease
- Facilities chosen by you
Looking for an Experienced Interventional Radiologist in Hyderabad? Meet Dr Pradyumna Reddy Today
Dr Pradyumna Reddy has been working as an interventional radiologist in Hyderabad for over 6 years. He has mastered in performing several radiology procedures. He has performed several thermal ablation procedures annually in different organs throughout the body. He can treat patients suffering from different conditions such as thyroid nodules, thyroid cancer, endocrine conditions, and many more. He will be with you in every step of your way towards an effective treatment. Your search for an experienced interventional radiologist ends when you meet Dr Pradyumna Reddy. To know more about him, you can fill out the online form or you can give us a call.