Varicose veins occur when the veins under the skin twist and enlarge. Leg veins are the most common affected veins and they appear in blue or purple colour. Though varicose veins are not harmful, if left untreated can cause serious problems. If your varicose veins are very painful, it indicates that there is some underlying serious condition. You need to visit a doctor immediately to treat the condition.
What Happens if Varicose Veins are Left Untreated?
If the varicose veins are left untreated, they can cause serious health problems such as the following:
- Blood clots: It is the most dangerous problem of untreated varicose veins. The valves that control the blood flow from the veins can damage due to chronic inflammation. This can prevent the veins from pumping the blood and hence blood gets accumulated in the veins.
- Swelling of legs: As the pressure builds up due to varicose veins, fluid from the blood will leak to the surrounding tissues. Some of the common signs of leg swelling include tightness in the skin, and an impression after removing socks and shoes. Yellowish fluid may also leak from the blood.
- Venous ulcers: Varicose veins cause swelling and hence the skin changes and lose its ability to heal from even mild injuries. Tension on the tissues can also slow down the healing process, causing ulcers.
- Chronic venous insufficiency: As the blood gets pooled in the leg veins, circulation of blood from the legs to the heart becomes difficult. This is called chronic venous insufficiency. Due to poor circulation of blood, fluid gets accumulated in the legs and it restricts your mobility and quality of life.
- Cellulitis: Varicose veins affect the body’s healing ability and the bacteria that exists on the skin gets into your body. As a result, it causes a skin infection called cellulitis. As the swelling increase, the infected skin region becomes red. If it is not treated on time, it can cause serious health issues.
- Bleeding: If your varicose veins are swollen, a large amount of blood gets pooled beneath the skin’s surface. When the skin bursts or even a small cut can cause a huge amount of bleeding than usual. Even if the skin does not burst, it can cause bruising.
- Muscle cramps: The blood flow from the veins gets affected and hence oxygen carried by the blood will not reach the essential organs. This can cause muscle cramps in the region of varicose veins. The pain can be very severe and can even affect your mobility.
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT): Blood clots formed due to varicose veins can further develop into deep veins, called deep vein thrombosis. This condition makes your legs swollen, red and can be painful. The greatest risk with this condition is that the blood clots can break and travel to the lungs causing life-threatening health conditions.
- Lipodermatosclerosis: If the leg tissues remain untreated, the leg tissues can become hard and stiff. This condition is called lipodermatosclerosis and it makes it difficult to move or relax your legs.
Suffering from Varicose Veins? Meet Dr Pradyumna Reddy Today to Avoid Serious Issues
Dr Pradyumna Reddy has more than 6 years of experience in treating patients suffering from varicose veins. He has excelled in various treatment methods and can definitely help you. He is trained in all basic & advanced radiology methods and became proficient in treating varicose veins. He is also an expert at performing endovenous laser ablation for treating varicose veins. You are just one click away to book your appointment with Dr Pradyumna Reddy. You can give us a call or can fill out the form on our website.