Varicose veins are large and twisted veins that appear under the surface of the skin. It is one of the most common vascular problems and anyone can get affected by this condition. But it is most commonly seen in seniors. As you get older, the valves in your veins become weak and the blood flows in the reverse direction towards your feet. As the blood flow to the veins increase, pressure increases and hence veins get bulged and twisted.
If varicose veins remain untreated, it can cause severe pain and trouble. You may also need varicose veins surgery to treat your condition if it gets worse.
Read More: Varicose Veins Treatment Cost
Why Should Old Age People Consider Treatment for Varicose Veins?
Whether a youngster or an adult is suffering from varicose veins, treatment is important. Seniors suffering from varicose veins should also seek medical assistance as soon as possible for several reasons such as the following:
- Discomfort: Older people who are suffering from varicose veins might experience throbbing, pain, and burning sensations in the legs. Immediate treatment can help relieve the pain and discomfort.
- Swelling: As the blood gets accumulated in your veins, fluid comes out of the vein and it causes swelling. Though compression stockings can help prevent swelling a bit, it may not be a permanent solution. This is because the swelling keeps increasing as the blood pooling increase in your veins. Hence you should consider visiting a vascular specialist to find a suitable solution.
- Restricted physical movement: Your physical activities such as exercises, running, cycling etc. get affected with varicose veins. People who have restricted physical activity should visit a vascular surgeon as soon as possible.
- Bleeding: Varicose veins occur near the surface of the skin where there is plenty of blood. Hence even a small cut can cause heavy bleeding and it can be difficult to stop. If you receive treatment for varicose veins on time, it can help prevent bleeding.
- Ulcers: If you have severe varicose veins, it can lead to leg ulcers due to changes in skin and swelling. Getting proper treatment can stop leg ulcers.
- Skin infections: Seniors who are suffering from varicose veins may experience skin infections such as cellulitis. If your varicose veins appear swollen and red, you should immediately visit a doctor for treatment. Receiving treatment for varicose veins at an early stage can prevent skin infections.
How Can I Prevent Varicose Veins as I Get Older?
As mentioned, the chances of varicose veins becoming worse increase as you get older. Hence, you should take proper care of varicose veins if that condition already exists. The following can help prevent varicose veins from getting worse:
- Know the cause: Before beginning the treatment, you should know the cause of your condition. This helps to know the right treatment for your condition.
- Practise regular exercise: After determining the cause of the condition, you should practise regular exercise to stop the condition from getting worse. Exercises include weight loss if you are obese, and strength exercises, etc.
- Lose weight: If you are overweight, there can be over pressure on your leg muscles to bear your weight. Hence, you should try to lose weight.
- Keep your leg elevated: Keep your leg raised when you lie down to ensure blood circulation in your legs.
- Use hot water baths and compression: To reduce the pain caused by varicose veins, use hot water baths and compression. Inflammation can also get reduced with compression.
Treatment for Varicose Veins in Seniors
Varicose veins can be treated using less invasive procedures. Minimally invasive procedures are helpful to prevent varicose veins without any complicated and long recovery. The minimally invasive procedures include endovenous ablation, microphlebectomy, and sclerotherapy. Use of compression stockings, and self-care such as regular exercise, losing weight, keeping the leg elevated can also reduce pain and prevent varicose veins from getting worse.
If your loved one who is above 60 is suffering from varicose veins and needs immediate treatment, meet Dr Pradyumna Reddy today to get immediate treatment. He is one of the Best Interventional Radiologists in Hyderabad with over 6 years of experience. He is trained in all basic & advanced radiology methods and became proficient in treating Varicose Veins. To know the possible treatment options, meet Dr Pradyumna Reddy today.